What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) refers to shifting abdominal pain with alternating constipation and diarrhoea. This is sometimes described as irregular or disturbed bowel function.
IBS has recurrent abdominal pain plus two or more of:
- Pain better from defecation
- Altered stool at the onset of pain
- Abdominal bloating
- Increased or decreased stools at the onset of pain
- A ‘never completely empty’ sensation after passing stool
- Passing mucus from the rectum
- Morning clusters of motions
- Constipation alternating with diarrhea
Other symptoms reported by patients with IBS:
- Fatigue (Or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)
- Unexplained insomnia or disturbed sleep patterns
- Susceptibility to colds, flus, sinusitis or post-nasal drip
- Allergic sensitivity
- Restless leg syndrome
- Gastric reflux
- Crawling skin
Possible Causes and/or contributing factors:
- Intestinal Parasitosis
- Dysbiosis & Candida of the gastrointestinal tract
- Food Sensitivity
- ‘Never Well Since’ a specific previous illness event (eg. Surgery, medication or antibiotic use, infectious mononucleosis or other bacterial or viral disease)
- Hypochlorhydria & Gastro-oesophageal Reflux
- Gallbladder stasis
- Gastritis & Peptic Ulcer
- Diet & Lifestyle
Many people do not realize that their gut health can be affected by the use of antibiotics, contraceptives, viral illness or poor diet and lifestyle.
They may not associate symptoms such as fatigue, nausea, sinusitis, headaches, allergic sensitivity, and insomnia or sleep disturbance with their digestive health.
The opportunistic parasites or candida overgrowth that may result from gut dysbiosis are often difficult to manage and ill health can result.
Taking probiotics and changing to a healthier diet can help greatly – but in many people it does not completely resolve their issues. This is where homeopathy differs – homeopathy has much to offer these patients, as there are many remedies that can address the underlying issues in the digestive microbiome and change susceptibility as well.
As always, Homeopathy treats the patient with the disease.